1. a lot (NOT alot) — Two words just like ‘a bit’ and ‘a little’!
2. embarrass (NOT embarass) — Double ‘r‘ because when you are embarrassed, you go really red!
3. interest (NOT intrest) — We should spell interest with an ‘e‘ because when we are interested in something, we are full of enthusiasm.
4. restaurant (NOT restuarant) — ‘a‘ before ‘u‘ because the appetiser always comes first!
5. environment (NOT enviroment) — It is vital that we spell environment with an ‘n‘ just as it is vital that we conserve nature.
6. recommend (NOT recommand) — Think re + commend. The prefix re = ‘back’ or ‘again’. To commend = to praise someone or something. So think of recommend as commending again.
7. argument (NOT arguement) — Let’s just say that people often get into arguments because of the E word: ego. Therefore, drop the ‘e‘ and stop arguing!
8. committee (NOT comittee, or commitee, or committe) — Think commit + tee. It will really tee the committee off if you do not commit yourself to spell this word correctly.
9. maintenance (NOT maintainance) — Always remember that the tenant is responsible for the maintenance of the rented apartment.
Finally, here’s the most commonly misspelt word in the world:
10. definitely (NOT definately) — I will give you a definite answer now. The word is definitely spelt with an ‘i‘!
Sponge ME, English Tuition (Singapore)